Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Will You Be My Valentine?

Valentine's Day is not a big deal in our house. In fact, my husband - always the serious scientist - says it's a made up holiday and refuses to celebrate it. I remember our first Valentine's Day together when we had only been dating a few months. We went to visit his new niece, who had been born the day before. When his family asked what we were doing to celebrate this special holiday, C of course launched into his theory of how commercialized it is and how he was just a poor college student. His mother then handed him money and told him to take me to dinner and movie (I think we saw Jerry McGuire).

So, all that being said, Saturday will not be a huge day for us. I have picked up small gifts for the children, which is a tradition my mother started years ago. And we are actually having a friend of Tater's for a sleepover so her parents can go away - how romantic for us!

But, as I was thinking about all this, I watched Tater and Bruiser open a package from Mimi and Auntie M yesterday that was filled with Valentine's Day goodies - they loved it! Then today was Tater's Valentine's Day celebration at preschool and she got such innocent joy out of opening her goodie bag and discovering who all the cards were from. And as I write this, I'm thinking about my own kindergarten students that could barely stay in their seats today with anticipation of our celebration tomorrow.

So, with all the stresses and worries of the current times, take a minute and remember those sweet moments when you were thrilled to get a Barbie valentine or heart-shaped lollipop. And take a minute to share that happiness with the one you love (Hint, hint, Daddy!).

No comments:

Post a Comment