Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Perfect Summer Read!

Courting Miss Amsel, Kim Vogel Sawyer, 978-0-7642-0784-6

I recently had the opportunity to review Courting Miss Amsel by Kim Vogel Sawyer for Bethany House Publishers.  Now, I say "recently" but, as my loyal readers all know, now happens recently in the House of Sprout!  I have had this book on my nightstand for about three months, waiting for the time when I could read a complete sentence without interruption...again, the reason things take so long in our house!

Luckily (for my sanity and your knowledge of this book!), summer has arrived!  This is one of two times that I actually get to finish a book.  The other is the week between Christmas and New Year's, when we visit family that have no television in the room we stay in!

Courting Miss Amsel is a Christian fiction novel that grabs you from the first chapter.  The main character, Edythe is an older first-year teacher in a small town one-room schoolhouse.  She shares her love of learning with her students through unusual methods that raise the eyebrows of several town leaders.  While she earns the respect and love of most students, one child tests her classroom management skills...as any teacher (myself included!) can sympathize with!  Add in to all this, family dramas, a search for a relationship with God, and a budding romance...and this book has captured it all!

So if you are looking for a book to relax and enjoy while sitting on the beach, by the pool, or on the couch (at night after the kids are asleep!), then I highly recommend this book.  I'm actually on my way to "google" the author and find more of her works to fill the rest of my summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment